GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) 2021 examination details were released on 11 September 2020 by IIT Bombay on its official portal. The organizing institute for the GATE 2021 examination is IIT Bombay.
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in engineering and science for admission into the Master’s Program of institutes as well as jobs at Public Sector Companies. GATE is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and seven Indian Institutes of Technologies at Roorkee, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Chennai (Madras), and Mumbai on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India.
In the past, several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have used GATE scores to shortlist the candidates for employment. A few such organizations are Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCI). Although it must be noted that GATE qualification does not assure a PSU job, as that depends on the recruitment procedure of the concerned PSU.
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens||11th September 2020|
|Closing Date of REGULAR online registration/ application portal||7th October 2020|
|End of Extended period for online registration/application (with late fee of 500/-)||14th October 2020|
|Last Date for change of Category, Paper and Examination City (an additional fee will be applicable)||13th November 2020|
|Admit Card will be available in the Online Application Portal (for printing)||8th January 2021|
GATE 2021 Examination
Forenoon: 9:30 AM to 12:30 Noon
Afternoon: 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM
6th February 2021
7th February 2021
13th February 2021
14th February 2021
|Announcement of the Results in the Online Application Portal||22nd March 2021|
Important Note: The health and safety of the candidates are of utmost priority. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic situation, the dates mentioned here are subject to change. In rare cases, it may be necessary to postpone the GATE 2021 examination because of situations beyond the control of the GATE committee. All updates will be available on the website.
GATE 2021 will be conducted on 27 subjects (also referred to as “papers”).
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Bio-medical Engineering||BM||Mining Engineering||MN|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Engineering Sciences||XE|
|Environmental Science &|
|ES||Humanities & Social Sciences||XH|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Life Sciences||XL|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG|
- Two new papers called “Environmental Science & Engineering (ES)” and “Humanities & Social Sciences (XH)” are being introduced in GATE 2021.
Examination for all the 27 subjects (papers) will be conducted as an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT).
|Examination Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Number of Subjects (Papers)||27|
|Sections||General Aptitude (GA) +|
Candidate’s Selected Subject
|Type of Questions||(a) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ).|
(b) Remaining types
i. Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and/or
ii. Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions
|Questions for testing these abilities||Recall|
Analysis & Synthesis
|Number of Questions||10 (GA) + 55 (subject) = 65 Questions|
|Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH, and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks +|
Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks +
Subject Questions: 72 Marks =
Total: 100 Marks
|Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH, and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks +|
Subject Questions: 85 Marks =
Total: 100 Marks
|Marking Scheme||All of the questions will be of 1 mark and 2 marks|
Pattern of Questions:
GATE 2021 may contain questions of 3 different types in all the papers:
- Multiple Choice Questions
- Multiple Select Questions (MSQ)
- Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
- For a wrong answer chosen in an MCQ, there will be negative marking. For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2-mark MCQ, a 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
- There are no negative markings for MSQ and NAT type questions.
- A candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already completed any government-approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts is eligible for appearing in the GATE 2021 exam.
Candidates who have obtained/are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India:
- Must be currently in the 3rd or higher years or completed their Bachelor’s degree (duration: at least 3 years) in Engineering / Technology / Science / Arts / Commerce.
There is no age limit to appear for the GATE 2021 examination.
- Candidates have to register and fill the application via ONLINE mode ONLY at the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). The link will be made available on the GATE 2021 website.
- The entire process of filling up of the application form and uploading of certificates/documents etc. is in ONLINE mode only. The candidates should NOT send any hard copy of their application forms/documents etc. to IIT Bombay or any of the zonal GATE offices.
- Application for GATE 2021 must be submitted ONLINE (through GOAPS website, https://appsgate.iitb.ac.in) by paying necessary application fees.
- For GATE 2021, all information related to the application process will be available on the GOAPS website. The photograph, signature, category certificate (SC / ST / PwD), and/or Dyslexia certificate, wherever applicable, must be uploaded during the online application. Candidates MUST enter the valid photo identity (ID) number specified in any one of the following IDs: Aadhaar-UID, Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, College ID, Employee ID, and Driving License. The candidates who do not possess any of these identity cards may please procure any one of them before making the application.
|For Examination Centres in India||Regular Period (14th Sept. to 30th Sept. 2020)||During the Extended Period (1st Oct. to 7th Oct. 2020)|
|Female candidates (per paper)||₹ 750||₹ 1250|
|SC / ST / PwD* category candidates (per paper)||₹ 750||₹ 1250|
|All other candidates (per paper)||₹ 1500||₹ 2000|
|For Examination Centres outside |
India (All Candidates)
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and|
Kathmandu (per paper)
|US$ 50||US$ 70|
|Dubai and Singapore (per paper)||US$ 100||US$ 120|
COVID 19 Situation:
- GATE 2021 scorecard will remain valid for THREE years from the date of announcement of results.
- Depending on the COVID-19 situation, the schedule of the GATE 2021 examination may change.
- Due to COVID-19 related international travel restrictions, examination at the International centers may be dropped, if the situation is not conducive by end of November 2020.